Twitter

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Alien Art

I'm trying to think back to when I started drawing the aliens in my head....maybe 12 years ago....I have piles of old sketchbooks that I hoard with some specifically filled with a beautiful alien girl. At some point I let her go and then these alien ships surfaced in my mixed media work. I surrounded myself with them. I loved these ships and their obscure planets more than flowers, landscapes or life drawing and maybe even my cat....but for some reason, perhaps not the right moment in time, that passion was overwhelmed by everything else.

I continued to paint them every once in awhile, but just for me and my own walls. I was emotionally attached because deep down I felt as though I was an alien myself, trying somehow to connect with the mothership so that I might not feel so alone...kindof like Superman living on earth, always hoping to meet his real parents, or another Kryptonian like him. That made them very personal, you know....a little bit of therapy for this pixie to survive the journey. So far I have been successful selling all those other things like landscapes and flowers and portraits and so on....except that over the years I actually have also sold all space and alien related artwork (only when I felt I had lived with it and loved it long enough that I could let it go to a new home and be loved again) and now the question pops up -- "You doing any more Alien pieces, Shar?"

hmmmm It seems as though these humans really do like these alien paintings. Maybe if I paint them, I'll discover I'm not so alone....




gotta stick together
10"x12" wood panel,
Acrylic


I guess I'm finally realizing that the Alien and Space Ship paintings I create come more naturally to me than anything else and that people want me to share them. So I've decided to paint them more often than once in awhile. They are already in my head, and they want out!

I'll post them on my website in the 'Out There' section. I've painted 3 since Christmas and one sold hot off the press. The two last night were my last birch panels so I'll have to buy some just for these and maybe open an Etsy store. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment