Twitter

Search This Blog

Monday, September 7, 2009

Feature Artist: Ken MacFarlane

I've always said he is among the few gentlemen left on the earth.

Ken MacFarlane is a great watercolour artist, teacher and friend. I first met Ken at Curry's Art School in the fall 2005 as he was one of the first teachers put on the roster. His classes were the most popular, from beginning to end, no doubt about it. I recently have been quoting him in my own workshops; other than successful art is about timing and process, he says "You should know a little bit about your materials before you get into it". So true Ken! This point in right up my alley, which is why I encourage material exploration. I believe in the process of taking the time to gain knowledge through experimentation, and enjoying it.

As I get into teaching my own way, I always remember the teachers that I personally admire and take note. Ken's professionalism, success as an artist and a great teacher is at the top of my list. He, like Jack Reid, loved people, and had a down to earth charisma and passion that I strive to nurture and share with others as well.

Ken's artwork focuses on calm, serene landscapes. He is the king of colour, perfect washes and skies! His steady hand masters architectural subjects, as well as finely detailed grasses and flowers in fields. I'm a huge fan of his watercolours, but I'd really love to get my hands on a framed sketch. His refined pencils drawings are so immaculate! Everything he does though shows off his skills, and is a signature of his artistic mastery.

Title: Country Palace
Size: 14" x 28"
This image is borrowed for this post with permission from the artist. For all collectors and galleries interested in Ken's watercolours, please visit www.macfarlanewatercolours.com to view more artwork in the gallery.
All images are copyright Ken MacFarlane Watercolour Studio

1 comment:

  1. I would like to get in touch with you. Porcia Perre

    ReplyDelete