Twitter

Search This Blog

Friday, February 12, 2010

Cityscape mixed media paintings

My cityscape series was in a group show last October, and recently featured on the Empty Easel Blog with a fabulous review. These works explore offbeat urban environments, created by abstracting the architectural and natural design elements of our beautiful and yet edgy cityscape.

From my love of drawing, I have developed a process of charcoal worked into layers of paint. I begin by drawing the basic and most important shapes, then layering dramatic values with minimal, harmonious colours. I draw into the paint with a charcoal stick, and use large Escoda Bristle brushes to blend the dry media to create rhythm in the line. I live for the final stages of adding textured and dark energetic marks.

Working with charcoal reminds how simple line is pure and beautiful, and some lines are so wonderful that instead of working with them, I work around them. It is an intuitive process working in harmony with the properties of the materials. There are beautiful collisions of media that become the forefront of my work and I hope it allows viewers to be curious and imaginative about the artistic process and result. 

Please visit my website to see the whole series, and for prices and availability.

No comments:

Post a Comment