Twitter

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Keyhole Sessions 'Sneak Peek' Show 2010

This year has been a whirlwind in so many ways. I wasn't even thinking of getting involved with any shows because I'm working on a new series and REALLY wanted to focus. However, when The Keyhole Sessions sent out word about this upcoming group show, I was very interested. I've very much enjoyed their Tues night Life Drawing sessions the past year, and I had a few pieces that were finished....so I submitted 4, and 2 were accepted. 1 of those 2 was unfortunately already sold, but it was beautiful and I wanted to show it in a gallery space.
The owner agreed.

The other was very recent, and so tickled me pink to have the chance to show it off. It was titled 'Space Girl' and the support was this amazing copper panel from Duho (I've posted my love for them before)! Duho Panels are premium, exquisitely crafted works of art on their own. The panel was only 8"x8" but weighed a substantial amount. So why would anyone use an expensive metal panel only to cover it with paint? The metallic surface is reflective, and many painters are interested in the light that reflects through all the layers of paint, creating a very unique luminosity. It's more common for (portrait) oil painters to use metal panels as the adhesion is very good. Using acrylic paint means you have to use thin layers, and/or roughen the surface with a sand paper or abrasive marks for the paint to have something to grab onto. With this piece, I had a lot of fun experimenting with Tri-Art's most expensive acrylic paint, Liquid Mirror. It's exactly like painting with liquid metal! It's highly reflective, used alone or as a base (for the same reason you might use a metal panel) or mixed with other colours. I used it as a main colour which sorta took over, so in the end it might seem a bit odd that I changed a copper surface into a silver one, but that's just how it worked out with the materials I had and what I felt suited the subject best. And no doubt it worked out perfectly... 'Space Girl' sold by the end of the show. ♥

1 comment: